The documentary film, "War Made Easy," discusses the many ways the United States government has spun the truth, particularly with the intent of getting the American public to support the country in times of war. With many examples from the Vietnam War to the Gulf War, and to the war in Iraq today, the film is definitely an eye-opener. The Film helped me to realize how easy it is to assume that what we hear from government officials and higher status public figures is true, where in reality that simply is not the case. With that said, the biggest question in my mind after watching "War Made Easy," was, who could I really believe? Naturally I believe the government who I have trusted without much question, but now this film is telling me the complete opposite, leaving me to feel like it can only be black or white, right or wrong. This film made me think that "truth" is more of an imaginary ideal than something that we can truly hope to expect.
Watching the movie makes the viewer question the government and people in positions of power. Several statements were made concerning the way that the United States pushes democracy onto the public because it is the right, moral, and just way to run a country, duh! Or so they argue. The movie makes many other very genuine and legitimate arguments against the way that our country is run in time of war, or in times of "freeing the people" of other countries.
What I would really like to see out of a movie is one that argues both sides. Obviously there is an incentive for the government to go to war, even if they are not necessarily justified. The main concept I took from the movie was that presidents that have taken us to war have done it for the American ego, or something to that effect, and I'd be curious to find out what lies between the black and the white. What I mean here, is that usually the other country is wrong, and the United States is right because we are a democracy. As much as we like dichotomous labeling, there is not a true right or wrong, but rather, most issues fall within a continuum between two extremes. I'm afraid "War Made Easy" only considers both extremes.
Because most of the American public has lived their lives truly believing what the government tells us to be true, it is going to be hard for an hour and a half film arguing the other side to be as convincing as it aims to be. Don't get me wrong, films like "War Made Easy" need to exist, but I also think it is fair to question the legitimacy of the claims it makes just as much as the film questions the morality and demeanor of the American government.
Cass Kreitlow
Hamline Undergraduate Student
Junior
1217 Van Buren
Saint Paul MN 55104
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good points. I agree that the government is for the most part supposed to be trusted. In all reality, what choice do we really have? For good or bad - I think we should retain at least SOME faith in our government regardless of what they choose or choose not to tell us. Maybe we are stupid for following our government as much as we do, but there is always something to said for showing a little patriotism...
ReplyDeleteA lot goes into war "planning" than I think we could ever imagine as civilians. Of course there is a political agenda, as I'm sure there has been since the first war or conflict ever. But as you said, there are always 2 sides to everything.
I completely agree that this film made me very confused about who I can actually trust. Like you, I always assumed that I could trust what the government was saying however now I'm not so sure. By the way I love the title. That quote is by far one of the funniest uses (or at least an attempted use) of propaganda that I have ever seen.
ReplyDelete